About Me

My photo
here I am in a little cottage that evokes the energies of my ancestral lands - a cottage on the moors of Cornwall, or on the cliff tops of Ireland or Scotland. It has a hearth. I am a hedge witch {of sorts}. I wear upcycled clothes, patchouli oil and Redback boots. I am a gypsy; an eccentric and a mystic [I often live with a foot in two worlds]. I serve my guests, tea from an old silver teapot. I love Vervain, yarrow, chamomile & mint. Star watcher and Moon gazer. story cloth weaver. keeper of family dreams and wishes. good friend and creator of life. herbal tea drinker and potion maker.

Tuesday, April 1, 2014

gathering o’yarrang

today I went to gather some O'yarrang for a friend. This is more commonly known as Old Mans beard and is a kind of lichen that grows on trees here in the mountains. I am sure it grows elsewhere, but here in the mountains, it is infused with our grounded energy.

When I go on these forages, I always, always stop and ask permission before I begin. I ask Spirit of place to be with me as I go.
I arrived at the entrance of the path where I go to gather and a butterfly fluttered past as if to welcome me, then came towards me and danced a slow dance around me.

 
I continued down the path towards a lookout that I had never been to and the view took my breath away. I was alone. Not one tourist, no noise. Just me. And earth. and of course the ancestors.
I sat for awhile in silent contemplation and then proceeded to gather, asking permission from each tree. Sometimes, I get a no answer so I continue on. I also wanted a small piece of bark to fashion a coolamon from..  this was found, without any searching.

Having gathered enough, I proceeded to walk back to my car. The butterfly returned, dancing, mesmerizing me.

 
alighting on a tree to let me take a photo.
Flitting off, and coming back, fluttering around my whole self. I stood still, in total silence. Holding my breath.
I reached the place where I had begun my journey and turned to give thanks and as I did, the butterfly returned. Alighting on a flower right near me. I went to take another photo but it fluttered off as I reached for my phone camera,  as if to say "Sometimes messages are just for you, not to share with the world. To live in your heart. To touch your soul"

I wanted to capture that moment and put it in a bottle.

But as the butterfly flew off, I knew that this moment would be with me forever. The butterfly was showing me that not every moment has to be shouted to the world. Some are just for me to savour

 
**  Roman Chamomile is my new love. I have been anointing my throat chakra with it and the apple like scent does something to my soul.
 
quote for today: "do not edit your soul".... I did this for too many years... and now, I am clawing my way back.

7 comments:

laoi gaul~williams said...

what a wonderful journey with all the right messages~i am wondering about your 'old mans beard' here it is the clematis, is it the same there?

Cheryl said...

So beautiful, Robyn.

I can relate to this. Recently something similar happened to me, I fumbled for my phone I got the "just for you" message.

Kathryn said...

A beautiful post. The earth waits for those who acknowledge its Sacred dimension. Thank you on behalf of all Gaia's children!

amelia said...

We have old mans beard here as well but it's not clematis as it grows wild in the woods and also in scrub land. Have no idea what it's 'proper' name is!

Unknown said...

A beautiful experience, Robyn!

Ruth said...

This is so beautiful and special Robyn xx

gma said...

I had a similar experience once with a dragonfly who flew at my face level (for several seconds)as though to tell me something.