About Me

My photo
here I am in a little cottage that evokes the energies of my ancestral lands - a cottage on the moors of Cornwall, or on the cliff tops of Ireland or Scotland. It has a hearth. I am a hedge witch {of sorts}. I wear upcycled clothes, patchouli oil and Redback boots. I am a gypsy; an eccentric and a mystic [I often live with a foot in two worlds]. I serve my guests, tea from an old silver teapot. I love Vervain, yarrow, chamomile & mint. Star watcher and Moon gazer. story cloth weaver. keeper of family dreams and wishes. good friend and creator of life. herbal tea drinker and potion maker.

Saturday, April 6, 2013

healing the damage done.. bringing positive from negative..

I had a fitful nights sleep last night, after the shock of the desecration of the tree.. and it was not only Grandmother tree, but at least 8 others.. all very old.. all night I dreamed of the Dryad of the tree, She came to me before bed and I quickly pen sketched her.. and all during the night, I was given instructions of how I was to draw her in my journal. Finally, at 5am, I got up, made a cup of herbal tea, collected oil and chalk pastels and started to draw..
and here is what was created


I have an online friend, who lives not too far from me.. we have never met, but Janeena has become a teacher to me.. and this is what she suggested I do for the tree, when she read about it on facebook:
to 'rehome' the spirits/dryad of felled giants. If you can get a little tree of the same species,and take it to the body of the hurt tree, and invite the spirit in to the baby tree. Tell it you will honour and nurture it and keep it safe. Take some red thread and attach one end to a part of the stump or a root or branch ( if any left) of the trees remains and the other end to the baby tree. This is the 'magical placenta' the trees spirit will travel through. See the sacred tree energy travelling into the baby tree. Talk to it, tell it how sorry you are that men have hurt it, that you want to help it, and have a new home for it to be safe. Take some of the sawdust, bark etc to mulch the new tree when you plant it. An ancient tree spirit has power and can linger with the remains of the tree until it has completely dried out. This is a chance for it to hop into a new 'body' and as the baby tree doesn't yet have a spirit, it isn't harmed. Leave an offering in the spot the tree stood.

and this is what I did:

I searched for a tree at a few nurseries, finally finding on in Wentworth Falls.. not a tube tree, there were none to be found.. but a tree called me and when I looked it was a white gum and the energy coming from it was like that of an infant... I drove down the mountain with Joe, to Grandmother tree and got out, taking my shamanic tool basket with me... a candle, some incense, some spikenard, the red cord - my tools of  healing.. All the while, feeling quite insane

I walked up to the tree, feeling very self conscious with cars whizzing by, looking to see what on earth this woman in hippy clothes was doing..

I had to step over the orange plastic wire fence erected around the tree.. feeling very much like a law breaker.. I noticed the tree was bleeding.. and I felt so sad.. but there was peace there too..

I lit a candle, some heart chakra incense that I had bought in Tintagel and anointed the stump with spikenard. Chosen oil of Mary Magdalene.

I then tied a red cord to the stump where it was bleeding and attached it to the new baby tree & I sat with the them and closed my eyes. I felt such a struggle as if a being was trying to claw it's way out. It was exhausted, haunted even. I saw some claw type things grabbing and clutching at the red cord as if it were a lifeline.. finally I saw shapes, starting to pulsate up the cord into the baby tree, like spheres of light.. it went on for a few minutes, all the while, me sitting with my back against the injured tree.. just breathing

Once that was done I took the cord from grandmother tree, blessed her and tied some leaves from her onto the branches of the baby tree. As an offering, I left a clay earth healing disc as well as the candle still burning. I scooped up some bark and wood shavings.. and I even found a stick from Her.. [am going to make a cross from it].. and bought the new tree, home to Katoomba.

we dug a hole out the back and I placed some bark in the bottom of the hole, tamped in the soil and mulched with the rest of the bark sawdust mix.... I put the small branch in the ground and connected tree and grandmother branch to each other with the red cord..I blessed the new planting... and as I finished, I heard crows cawing in the old pine tree..
It is done

thankyou Janeena xo


8 comments:

Kim Campbell said...

Beautiful ceremony Robin!

gma said...

Thanks for honoring Grandmother for her life time of service and beauty. Many blessings to all Dryads whose lives have been cut short. May the trees of earth
flourish. Amen.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I'm so glad you did this, Robyn. Janeena gave you wonderful instructions about preserving the old tree's spirit in the new. May the baby tree flourish!

Lynne-Aussie said...

What you have done is beautiful Robyn.

Annie Jeffries said...

Oh how I hope the baby flourishes in the shadow of grandmother.

Everydaythings said...

what a beautiful thing to have done Robyn... straight from your heart!

laoi gaul~williams said...

oh robyn you have done a wonderful thing~my heart was bleeding when i heard of the tree. someone in our village recently had torn down a huge evergreen, one that was hundreds of years old that would take several people to span and my heart was in such pain.

Ruth said...

Wonderful healing work Robyn - you are really coming into your shamanic power now. And I'm glad you felt silly and unsure at times - this is what keeps us from going bonkers or getting too bog for our boots!